Home SPORTS UFC They're addicted to UFC fame - Former champ Pettis tells fighters to...

They’re addicted to UFC fame – Former champ Pettis tells fighters to pick ‘guaranteed money’ instead

- Advertisement -


Even with the existence of other promotions, it is undeniable that the UFC is still the most prominent name in the game today. But even with that high-profile reputation, many fighters tend to find greener pastures in other companies.

Former UFC champion Anthony Pettis, for one, is now seemingly more content as a PFL fighter. And in his recent in-studio guesting on the MMA Hour, He spoke about how many of his fellow competitors prefer the fame and hype that being in the UFC brings.

“It’s weird. I think the fame that comes with fighting in the UFC, these fighters are addicted to that. They want that more than the guarantee,” he said. “They’re like, I’m willing to risk not getting paid a certain amount to get the fame that comes with it and the recognition that comes with fighting on a UFC fight card.

“The general public looks at the UFC like it’s the best place to fight, it’s the only place to fight. But as fighters, you’re supposed to take care of yourself. Most guys don’t get to fight as long as I got to fight. So I got to see all the phases of the MMA chain, from when the UFC got bought out to the WME, how those changes happened.”

As an example, Pettis revealed how many fighters would prefer to start at the bottom of the UFC totem pole.

“I’ve got fighters that will say no to more money just to get on The Contender Series,” he said.

“You can’t really do anything. You’re like, ‘Dude, this is guaranteed money – you can still build yourself and build your career – if that’s what makes sense for your career, then go to that.’

“But I think eventually, once the general public stops pushing that on fighters, then we’ll see fighters making different decisions.”

Ultimately, the 35-year-old Pettis has one piece of advice:

“I think fighters should definitely test the market. And there’s so many more organizations coming out now that are paying good guys. Eagle FC, Khabib’s show, they’re paying guys good money.”

Pettis signed with the PFL in 2021, and is so far on a 1-3 run. He last fought at PFL 5 in June against Stevie Ray and lost via second-round twister submission. The two are set for a rematch in the semis of the lightweight tournament at PFL 7 on August 5th.

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -
Must Read

The Chats announce huge UK and European tour, share ‘Out On The Street’ video

The Chats have announced details of their biggest UK and European tour to date and shared a new video for 'Out In The...
- Advertisement -

Megan Thee Stallion says she paid Future $250,000 for his ‘Pressurelicious’ verse

Megan Thee Stallion has revealed that she paid Future $250,000 (£206,500) for his guest feature on her song 'Pressurelicious'. The track, which was released...

(G)I-DLE’s Shuhua briefly collapses onstage during the Mexico City concert

(G)I-DLE member Shuhua briefly collapsed on stage mid-performance at the girl group's recent Mexico City concert. On August 12, the five-member act performed in...

LABOUM’s agency addresses reports that the girl group is disbanding

South Korean entertainment agency Interpark Music Plus has responded to reports about the dissolution of the girl group LABOUM. Last week (August 12), StarNews...
Related News

The Chats announce huge UK and European tour, share ‘Out On The Street’ video

The Chats have announced details of their biggest UK and European tour to date and shared a new video for 'Out In The...

Megan Thee Stallion says she paid Future $250,000 for his ‘Pressurelicious’ verse

Megan Thee Stallion has revealed that she paid Future $250,000 (£206,500) for his guest feature on her song 'Pressurelicious'. The track, which was released...

(G)I-DLE’s Shuhua briefly collapses onstage during the Mexico City concert

(G)I-DLE member Shuhua briefly collapsed on stage mid-performance at the girl group's recent Mexico City concert. On August 12, the five-member act performed in...

LABOUM’s agency addresses reports that the girl group is disbanding

South Korean entertainment agency Interpark Music Plus has responded to reports about the dissolution of the girl group LABOUM. Last week (August 12), StarNews...

Watch the first trailer for Tegan and Sara’s ‘High School’ TV series

The first trailer has been shared for Tegan and Sarah's upcoming TV series High School – check it out below. The pop duo's 2019...
- Advertisement -