As more research comes to light about the link between social media use and negative mental health outcomes in teens, some tech companies have made an effort to mitigate their products’ negative impacts.
Last year, Meta, formerly known as Facebook, announced that it would allow Facebook and Instagram users to hide like and view counts on their own and other users’ posts.
Meta had been testing the feature since 2019 before a wider roll-out last year. Not every user has access to the feature yet. But for those who do, here is how to hide your likes on Instagram on the Android and iOS apps.
Talking Tech newsletter:The week’s biggest tech stories, delivered to your inbox
How to delete Instagram:Steps to take delete or deactivate your Instagram account
How to hide likes on your feed
- Tap on the menu bar in the upper right-hand corner of your profile page and select “Settings.”
- Go to “Privacy”
- Select “Posts”
- Toggle “Hide like and view counts” on or off.
How to hide likes on your own posts
In the last window before you publish a post, go to “Advanced settings” at the bottom. Here, you can toggle “Hide like and view counts for this post” on or off.
To turn on or off like counts for posts you’ve already published, go to the post and click on the three dots in the upper right-hand corner. You will have the option to “Hide Like Count.”
Looking for more tech tips? has you covered.
- Goodbye Instagram:How to delete or deactivate your Instagram account
- It’s over, Gmail:Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to delete your Gmail account
- Keep your favorite tunes:Leaving Spotify, Apple Music or other streaming services? How to bring your playlists with you
- What is the Metaverse ?:Everyone wants to own the metaverse including Facebook and Microsoft. But what exactly is it?
- Screenshot central:How do you screenshot on a Mac or on Windows? Here’s how to capture one on any device