After settling a wrongful death lawsuit with Halyna Hutchins’ family last month, Alec Baldwin has filed a complaint of his own against several people over the prop gun shooting that took the “Rust” cinematographer’s life.
In a countersuit filed in Los Angeles Superior Court Friday, Baldwin’s attorneys allege Hutchins died due to the negligence of defendants Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, the film’s armorer; assistant director David Halls; props master Sarah Zachary; guns and ammunition supplier Seth Kenney; and Kenney’s business, PDQ Arm and Prop.
has reached out to attorneys for Gutierrez-Reed and Halls for comment. Contacts for Kenney and Zachary could not be located as of Friday evening. The Santa Fe District Attorney’s office is still conducting a review of the incident.
By filing the complaint, Baldwin seeks “to clear his name” of the shooting, in which he has been “wrongfully viewed as the perpetrator” for firing the gun during filming, the filing states. The actor, 64, also aims to hold the defendants “accountable.”
“There can be no doubt that others have suffered from Cross-Defendants’ negligence far more than Baldwin has,” the suit reads. “Hutchins lost her life, and her young child lost his mother. Producer Joel Souza was shot in the shoulder and has suffered physical and emotional pain. Although by no means comparable, Baldwin must live with the immense grief, and the resulting emotional, physical , and financial toll, caused by the fact that Cross-Defendants’ negligent conduct, assurances, and supervision put a loaded weapon in his hand and led him, Hutchins, and everyone else on set to believe that his directed use of the weapon was safe .”
The suit adds: “This tragedy happened because live bullets were delivered to the set and loaded into the gun, Gutierrez-Reed failed to check the bullets or the gun carefully, Halls failed to check the gun carefully and yet announced the gun was safe before handing it to Baldwin, and Zachry failed to disclose that Gutierrez-Reed had been acting recklessly off set and was a safety risk to those around her.”
The suit claims Baldwin, who is also one of the film’s producers, played no role in hiring Gutierrez-Reed. It also alleges Kenney and his company stored inventory without proper labels or organization and that “their cavalier disregard for proper separation between live and dummy ammunition was one of the factors that led to the presence of live ammunition on the set.”
The suit also says that, as an actor, Baldwin did not bear the responsibility for checking the ammunition in his prop gun and that he “lost numerous job opportunities and associated income” as a result of the shooting.
Alec Baldwin settles lawsuit with Halyna Hutchins’ family, ‘Rust’ to resume filming
“Over the last year, Baldwin has suffered substantial damage as a result of the events on October 21,” the suit says. “He has suffered physically and emotionally from the grief caused by these events. Not a day goes by that he doesn’t think about, and suffer from, the events that happened that day.”
In early October, Baldwin announced he reached a settlement in a wrongful death lawsuit filed by Hutchins’ family. As part of the settlement, the cinematographer’s husband Matthew Hutchins will serve as an executive producer on the movie, which is set to resume production in January. He was a plaintiff in the suit along with the couple’s 9-year-old son, Andros.
“We have reached a settlement, subject to court approval, for our wrongful death case against the producers of ‘Rust’ including Alec Baldwin and Rust Movie Productions,” Matthew Hutchins said in a statement provided at the time. “I have no interest in engaging in recriminations or attribution of blame (to the producers or Mr. Baldwin). All of us believe Halyna’s death was a terrible accident. I am grateful that the producers and the entertainment community have come together to pay tribute to Halyna’s final work.”
A year after Alec Baldwin’s ‘Rust’ shooting, There are few answers about the tragedy
also obtained a statement from Baldwin’s attorney, Luke Nikas of Quinn Emanuel: “Throughout this difficult process, everyone has maintained the specific desire to do what is best for Halyna’s son. We are grateful to everyone who contributed to the resolution of this tragic and painful situation.”
The terms of the settlement were not disclosed.
The Santa Fe District Attorney’s office indicated the agreement would have no bearing on the criminal case.
Halyna Hutchins killed after ‘horrifying’ prop gun misfire; Joe Manganiello, more pay tribute
Contributing: Brian Truitt